Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Do you ever wake up in the morning..........


...........and you have a verse or song going through your head? It happened to me this morning. I woke up with
"Knock on the door

Peek in

Lift the latch and walk in

Here's the chair

Sit down

How do you do, this afternoon?"


This was something that my grandmother "Mam" would always say and do to me when I was little - there are actions to go with it as well like knocking on your forehead, peeking into your eye, opening your mouth and then shaking your chin up and down.
And then that got me thinking about another little song/ditty she sang :

"Shoo shuggy,

O'er the glen,

Mammy's pet,

And Daddy's chook chook"

From that, you can probably guess that Mam was Scottish and that was usually sung to us while she was bouncing us on her knee or pushing us on a swing.
The photo at the top of this post is my grandparents on their wedding day in 1929 -Mam was 18. My grandfather died 4 years before I was born, so I never had the chance to know him but fortunately Mam lived until she was 93 and I have the privilege of having her christian name as my middle name - Mary - and yes I can be contrary sometimes! But I always blame it on the name!!


1 comment:

Miss Muggins said...

It is wonderful that you have these special memories. As a kindergarten teacher I have noticed fewer children knowing the nursery rhymes that we knew growing up -are they a dying art?