Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Art Techniques - Day 4



For our project today, we were supposed to use watercolours but I discovered that I didn't have too many colours anymore, so instead we used Water Soluble Oil Pastels and stencils to make the building shapes. I showed the boys how to use portions of the stencils to get the shapes they needed and how to use other things to get the right shapes - ie we traced around the end of my finger for the windows on the blue building. By the end, they were coming up with some pretty interesting ideas of things they could trace around!!!!They found the oil pastels really easy to use - it was just like colouring in with crayons. Then with a bit of water and a paintbrush or finger, the colours were blended and muted. Gold and black pens were used to highlight.
A friend just won this old Hymn book off ebay - look at that handwriting on the inside page - you don't see lovely writing like that these days, do you? Although if I was to give my dad a fountain pen, he would be able to produce writing very similar. Where are my cherubs, they need to have a writing lesson right now..........!!!!

2 comments:

The Joy of Nesting said...

Gads Christina,

You guys are getting better with each lesson!! Oh and I love the water soluble pastels I'm going to go on a hunt for some!! They look like just way to much fun!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mexico

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

I love that you are so dedicted at doing these art tasks with your boys.
My Grandfather is 85 and a retired Draftsman and whos! Should see his handwriting...So romantic